Have you ever want to make a savoury pie but were a bit too intimidated by the whole process? I found this Chicken Pot Pie recipe and I assure you it’s the perfect first time pie maker recipe. I found it on Meghan Goetz’s site www.twineandbraids.com and she got it from Julie of Lovely Little Kitchen. So now I’m passing it on to you because it’s great find that’s for sure. I made this pie about 3 weeks ago and it turned out beautifully, absolutely delicious and was perfect for freezing and eating later.
I suggest having a little fun with the pastry and make some nice shapes on top. I found some great pastry cutters at the local craft shop to add just a little more fun and creativity to this pie. It’s a nice little feeling pulling out a pie from the oven that’s beautifully decorated as well as heartfully delicious! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 TBSP Butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp chicken bullion - I used my home made veggie stock paste.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F and thaw puff pastry.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and salt and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly stir in milk, heavy cream and chicken bullion and bring to a boil. Simmer gently over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken.
- Turn heat to low and add in chicken, peas and thyme.
- Pour chicken mixture into a 9x9 baking dish. ( I used a pie dish)
- Cut puff pastry into 12 equal strips. Lay the strips over the chicken mixture, weaving them to form a lattice pattern. Whisk the egg and brush on top of the puff pastry.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the puff pastry is golden brown.
Heartfelt Food http://heartfeltfood.com/
Lasagna is one of my favourite things to make and eat too! I enjoy playing around with the recipe by adding more vegetables and trying to pack as much nutrition as I can into the dish. I’ve even made a raw lasagna which is extraordinarily delicious which I’ll share in a later post if you can wait. But lasagna is also delicious as the plain classic version too. This time I made the classic version and it did not disappoint. I made two and froze them for a happy awaiting customer to use at a later date.
The below recipe is from the Thermomix Recipe Community and can easily be made without a Thermomix. And it really is Perfect Lasagna every time, enjoy!
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 30 g oil
- 500 g minced meat, Half beef, half pork
- 400 g chopped tomato, canned
- 30 g tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 50 g Butter
- 80 g flour
- 600 g milk
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 150 g cheese, Mix of Tasty & Parmesan
- Fresh lasagna sheets
Grate cheese 10 sec / Spd 8 & set aside.
Chop carrots, onion & garlic cloves 5 sec / Spd 5, scrape down sides and chop another 5 sec / Spd 5.Add oil & sauté 2 min / Varoma / Spd 1. Preheat oven to 200° C.Add meat & cook 5 min. / Varoma / / . Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, stock cube, sugar & oregano and cook 12 min / 100° / / Spd 1-2. Pour into Thermoserver/bowl (doesn’t need to stay warm) & rinse out Thermo bowl.
Melt butter for 2 min / 100 ° / Spd 1.Add flour & cook for 1 min / 100 ° / Spd 1.Add milk & salt, scrape flour mixture from bottom through milk & mix for 2 sec / Spd 5 to combine. Cook for 8 min / 100 ° / Spd 2. Check if all flour combined by scraping again with spatula, then briefly mix again for 2 sec / Spd 5.
Spread some bechamel sauce in the bottom of a baking dish, line with lasagne sheets, top with bechamel again, sprinkle some cheese and then start layering meat, lasagne sheets, bechamel, cheese until top of dish is reached. Generously sprinkle cheese on top layer.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Lasagne is done when a toothpick easily pierces through the layers and the cheese is nicely browned. Let rest for at least 20 min before cutting and serving. Enjoy!!